Search

Pages

26 November, 2012

i am awkward

Went for a food tasting session today and was quite surprised to be seated together with a table full of Japanese natives. Hmmm. Awkward starts. They were conversing amongst themselves in Japanese and I was just sitting right at the end of the table, minding my own business. Sweat. Thinks the entire table was either Japanese media people or people from F&B or regular customers of the restaurant. More sweat...

Then, after like 10 minutes or so, one Japanese lady at the start of the table then noticed there's this person sitting right at the end of the table that no one seems to know about. So, she sort of like asked something in Japanese and I guessed she was probably asking me to introduce myself. All heads were turned towards my direction and the first thing that came out of my mouth was, "Sorry, I'm not Japanese." Then I smiled...awkwardly.... *facepalm* The table was completely stunned into silence. Then I think she told the guy sitting beside me that she thought I was with him, and then he shook his head.

 Where was my Japanese 101 when I needed it?! Argh! Hahaa, actually I should've said "はじめまして、わたしわLeeです。どぞよろしく。"

Anyway, eventually found out that the person that was sitting beside me, is Chef Nobu of KUMO, specializing in kaiseki ryori. Quite friendly, and conversant in English. Keke.

Here's a picture of what we ate:

special tsukemen

Had another pleasant surprise today. Was at the MRT, and about to alight when two boys passed by and one said, "I like your bag." Then he repeated it again and pointed to my bag because I didn't know he meant my bag the first time round. Hahaaa! That's the black tote bag from Punk Star that I always carry around. Thanks guys, for liking the bag. =)

0 comments: