Search

Pages

05 August, 2006

good food in singapore

Went to Popular just now, and saw this book "The POPULAR food guide @Singapore". Ahh.. no wonder they were selling it in Popular bookstore... now I get it. Slow ah me.


the food guide

While I realise that probably the stall owners had paid some fees to get their stalls registered in this guide, there were some locations found in the guide that I'd like to recommend too.

For the Clementi zone, the one where the Brothers Rojak can be found, the same coffeeshop, you can find a good kway teow soup stall. Nice soup and the kway teow.. smooth and soft.. yummy!

Another one is the Old Airport Road hawker centre.. alot of great food there. My friend tried the Lao Fu Zhi char kway teow (also featured in the guide) and I managed to grab a bite from her then. Nice and not oily! Definitely worth trying. There also you can find one drink stall that sells sugar cane with the sour plum. I ordered one and to my pleasant surprise, it was the best tasting sugarcane with sour plum that I ever had in my entire lifetime! Why so nice? Because the sour plum was blended into tiny bits and these tiny bits filled up a fifth of the glass. When you drink together with the sugarcane juice... I can't describe.. you need to drink it for yourself! But there's only one stall that sells this version so you gotta find it first as I can't remember the stall name *LOL* There's also this mutton soup stall, manned by a friendly middle aged auntie. I tried the mixed mutton soup (means got the internal stuffs) and while the soup is peppery kind, the meat.. wow..tender and tasty. Very nice!

Had the chance to try the Tiong Bahru market suckling pig also. Very crispy. You actually can't miss it as the signboard is damn big and got lots of pictures of celebrities eating there. Price is around $8.50 for a plate of suckling pig skin (about 5 pieces), with some roasted pork and a bowl of wanton. Without the roasted pork and wanton, it'll be around $6.. I think.

4 comments:

BnB

Waah~~ I haven't been to Old Airport Road Hawker Centre for the longest time. Miss the food there man! Their satay is also GOOOOOOD! Satay sauce mixed with a bit of pineapple sauce. Tok Gong! But I don't like PLUM!!! BBLAH!

purple taste

ahh.. the other time we got to go there was also courtesy of HC. To go there, we need transport... else, don't think i'll ever be there also ;P you don't like sour plum.. 酸梅 you don't like? whyyyy???

BnB

BLAHCK! SO SOUR!!! thinking of it makes me 'BLAHCK!'...

Anyway, my boss intro me this little delicacy of his.. which I didn't try since I am no fan of sour plum...

According to him, slit a cherry tomota into quarters, but dun slice it off totally. Stuff the sour plum in the middle of the tomato... then stuff them into your mouth... My colleague tried and she said its nice... she offered me but I 'BLAHCK!'!!!

Maybe u can try... hehehe

purple taste

your boss very cultured.. still need to slice the cherry tomato? it's already very small! i've tried the plum powder with all sorts of stuffs already... cherry tomatoes, pineapples, jambu, guava, papaya, watermelon etc... it goes well with almost every fruit!

but i can assure you.. the sugarcane (sweet sweet one) juice plus the sour plum (salty.. not sour you know) equals to one fantastic thirst quencher!