Search

Pages

24 January, 2008

lunar new year

Was at Bukit Batok the other day, and the atrium was having some exhibition as part of the CNY celebration offerings. Artisans from China were exhibiting their crafts. Have Chinese Calligraphy, Palm Painting, Clay Kneading, Musical Instruments like 'Er hu', Chinese Painting, Seal Engraving and Embroided clothings.

Quite cool, the 'er hu' instrument was prized at $50. Palm painting simply means painting using the palm of the hand. Usually done in black-n-white with sceneries depicting serene lake, mountains, waterfall etc.

I was at the Chinese painting stall, and it was manned by an middle aged artisan from Tianjin, Mr Fan. Some are painted by him, others not. He has framed and non-framed paintings (watercolor). Those framed ones looked quite nice. I can feel my culture points rising a little, just by looking at them haha! Anyway, those non-framed ones are sold at $20 per piece.

Anyway, as I was lingering around at that stall, there was another uncle who was there with his friend. He looks like any ordinary retired people (later know his surname as Mr Ho) and he said he has a hobby of collecting paintings. He quoted a few names, but none that I know of (because no knowledge in this area! Oops, alert! Culture points dropping!). Anyway, his friend bought one framed painting which I think is quite big (its like 3 x 2 A4 size). Mr Ho quietly mentioned that the seller wanted to sell for about $150 initially but they bargained down to $90. Which, sounds alright doesn't it? Mr Ho also said that someone once offered him $5K for one of his collection but I didn't ask what was the initial price he bought it for. :P

So Mr Fan asked if I'm buying anything. He suggested I buy the horizontal painting which can cover half the wall size of a normal bedroom wall. I was aghast, so I said, “我没这么多钱啊!” although I don't know how much that will cost. Probably around less than $100 since its not framed. Anyway, I stood there for about another 10 minutes. Finally Mr Fan said he'll give me a 10% discount. Haha, ok so I bought one as a gift to my soon-to-be-former housemate to congratulate him on his ownership to a HDB flat.



peonies

Well, if ever this painting gonna fetch $5K in future... I'd expect a good treat from him! Haha

0 comments: