Search

Pages

09 October, 2011

annyeong haseyo! 안녕하세요

Currently obsessed with things Korean. Was at Sol Mart, Novena Square 2 to stock up on instant noodles. So here's what I've gotten two weeks ago.

instant noodles and snacks

At $1.20~$1.50 per pack, it makes a very filling, tasty and cheap lunch. Please do not try those low calories version though. I did and it was bleah! Just get the regular ones. I think I like Jin Ramen better than Samyang.

I like makgeolli (korean rice wine 막걸리) way better than soju (distilled rice wine, 소주 or 燒酒)! In Korean dramas, usually you'll see those yuppies downing their sorrows via soju (like many many green bottles on their table that kind), while makgeolli is more commonly drunk by the older folks somewhere in the villages. Seriously, I think I am more suited to be a farmer than a yuppy...!

Sol Mart do sell makgeolli at $6 per can or $15 per bottle. Expensive stuffs, yeap. Drinkable and pleasant, and of course, slightly sweetish. Jinro makgeolli in bottle form seems seasonal though. Sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't.

Another seasonal item, was the Korean grapes. They had it in stock and asked if I wanted to try, so I got a small bunch for $5.50. Already tried the Taiwan version. So the only champagne grapes country yet to be tasted, are the ones from Japan. At the most expensive pricing ever!

ok, packaging has Korean words that I can't read
Korean champagne grapes (with seeds)

looks like this


Okay... I think champagne grapes are somewhat an 'acquired' taste or rather texture... Usually 'acquired' taste would mean something that tasted funky. Don't get me wrong, these types of champagne grapes smelled just fine. In fact, it has the perfume of champagne when you sniffed it. However, the texture of these grapes was just something that I didn't expect from a grape.

The grapes were sweet. But when you eat it, the whole blob would be sucked into the mouth. And it does remind me of Qoo (you know, that drink...). Not sure if I'd spend top bucks to eat the Japanese version though. I think I still prefer the poor-man's grape which is our regular seedless version that has a firmer and 'crunchier' texture.

Here's a song on my playlist recently:

0 comments: