Search

Pages

15 April, 2006

a cute appendics III

The ward eta was around evening time. I asked the nice attendant who wheeled me towards my bed, "Where is this ward?" She said, "Ward 43, bed 4. Hey, arent you lucky you get the corner bed!" I smiled. Yay, my own private corner.

After messaging my whereabouts and latest updates to my bro and aunt, I started looking around. Direct opposite of me, there is one young Malay lady. Beside my bed, was another Malay lady but what struck me most was her amputated arm. Direct opposite of her, was a Chinese lady who looked very much in discomfort. Next to her, was a Filipino lady who was asleep. And direct opposite of her, was another older Malay lady who smiled at me.

Next, the nurse gave me a change of clothes and I am to be put as "NIL by mouth". Meaning no food nor drink whatsoever, in case I have to go surgery, which incidentally, no one knows when. Boy, I was real thirsty by then.

So I was off to sleep, as I got nothing better to do. When I was happily in dreamland, the doctors came. Oooh, what a nice looking couple. The guy was handsome and the girl was pretty. But both looked very much aloof. So the guy doctor asked me to pull down my pants, and started pressing on the affected area. I have learnt that for appendix, they will always do the "rebound test". He pressed on the appendics area and asked, "Tell me when you feel pain." So I told him. Then he will quickly let go of his hand and asked again, "Do you feel pain when I release?" I shook my head and said, "Nope." I did not realise then, but my answer seem to sidetrack them a bit from giving a definite diagnosis that this is indeed appendics. (Because you are supposed to feel more pain when they release their hold on the affected area quickly). So they looked slightly puzzled, and the guy asked me to go into the foetal position so he can do the anal probe again. ( I hope this is the last time they want to do this!) Ouch, it hurt a bit when he does that. More than the doctor over at the fever facility.

So after all the prodding and probing, their advise is to continue observation as I had shown some appendics related symptoms but as my urine sample also showed signs of slight infection, so they cannot say definitely whether it is really appendics or urinary tract infection(UTI), until the blood test result is out, which is not so soon.

So the cute doctors went away, and I was back to staring at the ceiling. It was dinner time by then. The other patients happily gets to eat their meal while I could only watch. My aunt and bro came by and I told them that nothing has been confirmed thus far.

I went to sleep around 9.30pm, was feeling very tired due to the previous nights of vomitting and non-sleeping. I was drowsy when two doctors appeared around midnight and woke me up. I was still very sleepy and they asked, "So how are you?" I replied, "I feel better." That really surprises them. But honestly, I do feel better as I do not have to vomit and the pain is there but it is still bearable. Then they did the same routine, pressed pressed here and there. But this innovative doctor marked the spot where I felt most pain. His words to me, "We still are not sure whether you have appendics problem or UTI. But you have two options. One, go for surgery anyway and two, remain for another day of observation. But we do not want to cut you up unnecessarily." So I opted for another day of observation. So they said they will be giving me antibiotics for the UTI and see whether that clears up. So after that I went back to sleep.

Did not know what time, but someone woke me up again. Boy, they are lucky I am not those type that will scold people if they were awaken so many times when they are sleeping. I looked and saw this cute girl preparing a syringe. I smiled and she said, "I will be giving you antibiotics injection and I will have to do it slowly and it will hurt abit." With that, she started. Nope, no pain.. so you do not have to worry. After that I gave her an "OK" signal and she said I was brave. Haha!

The next morning, I got better acquainted with my ward mates. The nice Malay lady direct opposite of me was in because of some problems with her urinary tract. The amputated arm Malay auntie has an interesting life story that can be written into a drama saga.. but that is another story. The Chinese and Filipino girl both are same like me, appendicitis. I was told that the Filipino girl just had her surgery, at 2am that morning, so now she is like resting.

Around 9am, another doctor came. This time, his name is Dr Raj. Same thing, same routine and he exclaimed, "Ah! Someone marked an X here!" But he has this to say, "Your urine sample (latest one, mind you) has been cleared of UTI. So I would suggest that you go for a procedure known as laprosectomy (I think is spelt like that or smthg) where we cut three holes and put a scope in to see. If it is appendicitis we will take it out. If it is not appendicitis, we will still take it out. So if you still experience pain, then it will definitely NOT be due to appendicitis then." Hmm... well, it makes sense anyway. So I said, okay. So off he went, to kick start the procedure for a surgery. I asked when and he said, probably not so soon. Maybe later in the afternoon or evening, depending on the availability of surgeon and operating theatre. Oh by the way, he will not be operating on me. A Dr Charles Tan will. So with that, I felt relieved that now the truth will be out soon. Is it appendicitis? Is it something else? Soon we will find out....


========= to be continued ============

0 comments: