Search

Pages

01 January, 2013

it was better in my head

Saw tuna steaks (@$6.95) in NTUC Bukit Timah, so had an idea to do pan seared tuna. Grabbed a tube of wasabi, a small bottle of olive oil and a bottle of cracked peppercorns.

for marinade

So, the marinade was pretty Asian styled. Soy sauce (found out I only had dark sauce at home, so used the Sukiyaki sauce instead) and sesame oil. Sprinkle some peppercorns on the fish also.

Let the thawed fish steaks sit in the marinade for one hour, and to flip it to its other side every half hour.

marination in process

Then drain off the marinade and set aside. Coat the steaks with olive oil and heat the pan. Seared it quickly on each sides, leaving the middle still pink. But, I guess I was over ambitious 'coz I had all three steaks in the pan at the same time and as a result, some are overcooked. Partly 'coz its irregular sized.

For sauce, squeeze some wasabi into the leftover marinade and here's where I think I got it wrong...the sauce was heated up in the pan but the wasabi didn't dissolve.. instead, it became sort of clumpy in the liquid. Faints. Hahaha!

seared tuna tataki, with awful looking presentation

Anyway, the fish was edible and ate my quota of vegetable for the day. It's a healthy meal! (I think...) Couldn't finish three steaks, so kept one in the fridge. Had it for lunch the next day, and I think it tasted better when chilled. Just dab it with some wasabi and that's it. Not bad.

Then, had the idea to do a breakfast dish. Sausages, eggs, baked beans and bread. Sounds good?

big breakfast (would've been prettier if I'd have added sauteed mushrooms and a slice of tomato)

The scrambled eggs were supposed to be fluffy and creamy, but it wasn't. Dang.

not fluffy eggs

I think I'd prefer frankfurters as compared to bratwurst. Cheesy bratwurst just taste so wrong.

Imagining these recipes in my head was so much better than when it's actually cooked. Hahaa, cooking #101, failed. Nevertheless, it was edible and stomachable. Hahaha!

All the ingredients for the above were from the NTUC vouchers that I got for Christmas exchange. Thanks for your generosity, my friend!

0 comments: