Search

Pages

09 August, 2007

taxi uncle

Yesterday took a cab from Tanjong Pagar back to home. The taxi uncle was quite friendly and talkative, but he talked like an old old man. So along the way, I've sort of noticed how his taxi will somehow lean towards the left and just like an inch away from the other vehicle...

Then the conversation went on to the way motorist behave on the road.

taxi uncle: You know ah.. last time I was driving with a female passenger, and ah this car I don't understand why ah.. suddenly came up from behind and tried to block my way.

me: orh... (glancing at how close his cab is to the lorry on the left)

taxi uncle: The passenger ah, was sooo terrified.. but you know ah, until now I still don't understand why the other car like that... still don't understand you know...

me: *probably 'coz you veered into his path!* (thinking silently)

taxi uncle: You know ah.. I've always been a careful driver... But then ah.. accidents do happen... You know ah.. accidents are hard to predict.. so they may happen.. (when he's talking animatedly, his hands will be lifted off the steering wheel...)

me: uncle.. but safety still comes first

taxi uncle: You know ah.. once, when driving.. also with female passenger.. we nearly got into an accident...

me: (slowly inching towards the right side.. in case of collision, still have hope of survival...)

Then the uncle stop at the traffic light. And he said, "You know or not... when I see the things at faraway... my eyes can see better! I'm long-sighted (老花眼).. not near sighted..." Then I said, "Orhh.. me also." Oops, the uncle got excited and turned to look at me. "You!? Sure or not?" Then he took off his glasses and handed them to me and said excitedly, "Look... see how many degrees.." I was like, "Err... uncle no need no need.. you better concentrate on the road!" Then he still insisted, so I quickly look look and said, "Aiya.. I don't know la.. " Then he took off the glasses and decided he won't put them on again!

*gulp* I said, "Uncle, you better wear the glasses!" But he smiled and said, "No need.. " I was getting worried... Then I asked him his age. He asked me to guess.. So I said, "70? 60?" He smiled and said, "58!" I was like.. har... 58 ah.. but he looked more like 68 to me!

So the rest of the journey was like our taxi keep on veering towards the left, with maybe one inch from the other vehicle but luckily, arrived safely at the destination. Phew...

0 comments: